Ouachita Lions| 2014-15 Record 30-5 | Head Coach: Jeremy Madison
Ouachita has been churning out great players and coaches for many years now. Coach Jeremy Madison a former Ouachita Lion point guard, and assistant coach under Coach Casey Jones, will take the head seat at the table for the Lions this season. It’s difficult to mention the Ouachita Lion boys’ basketball program without discussing Junior guard Cephus Gix. Gix averaged 20 points per game last season and received numerous accolades.
Take a look at what Cephus Gix has accomplished. 2014-15 2nd Team All-State, Two-time 5A All-District team, and Two-time All-Northeast Louisiana. Gix was also named Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the Don Redden Memorial Classic as a freshman. Gix is a great outside/inside scorer and has the ability to take over a game at any time. He is one of the best scorers ever in Northeast Louisiana.
Players to Watch:
- Jay Head, Jay Gill, and Zach Hannibal.
- Zach Hannibal: Senior guard, son of Roderick Hannibal, who was a member of the 1985 Louisiana Tech basketball team with Karl Malone.
Ouachita Lady Lions| 2014-15 Record 17-14 | Head Coach: Amber Obaze-Ford
Coach Obaze-Ford takes over for John Merritt this season. Coach Obaze-Ford a former 4 year starter for the Louisiana Tech Lady Bulldogs (2000-2004), is a proven winner that can coach players to the next level. Many remember her as a lockdown defender for the Lady Techsters in the early 2000’s, during the later days of Lady Techster legend Leon Barmore’s career. Coach Obaze-Ford was awarded Sunbelt Conference Freshman of the Year, and made it to the NCAA Tournament four times. Three Sweet Sixteen appearances and one Elite 8 appearance during her career as a Lady Techster.
Coach Obaze-Ford brings great coaching and winning experience to Ouachita. Her Overall record at Rayville was 65-29 and she led the Lady Hornets to a 3A State Championship Title in 2013. Look for the Lady Lions to stir up some trouble for many teams this season.
Players to Watch:
- Keturah Bingham: Senior power forward is a three year starter for the Lady Lions. When healthy, Bingham is a matchup nightmare for most post players. She has size and strength and the ability to average a double-double on any given night.
- Brandi Washington: Junior guard
- DeeDee Walker: Sophomore guard